Reply To: The Master and His New Emissary

• Whit Blauvelt

October 3, 2023 at 8:04 pm

Helen,

My response was to what you posted here, not your article, which your advertisement for does not inspire me to read. By my reading of McGilchrist (yes I read every page, slowly, of both volumes and his prior opus), you miss his point. It’s not a war between an angelic hemisphere and a demonic one. Rather it’s the task of enfolding the LH’s rational and linguistic capacities into the context of the RH’s more holistic and aesthetic comprehension of our world and ourselves. This cannot be accomplished by somehow defeating rationality. It’s not a war of the hemispheres. If McGilchrist had defeated rationality he could never have written his wonderful books.

By the way, I don’t “hate” AI. I just see it as silly. There’s a real danger that people will be confused by it, mistaking it for something either conscious or intelligent, when all it’s doing is mashing phrases together. Seeing it as more than that is akin to seeing castles in the clouds … testimony to our own imaginative capability.

Best,
    Whit