Reply To: The Lord's Prayer

• Dan Slife

September 26, 2022 at 7:33 pm

Hi Mary. It came to me in an aha moment, which was much more magical than it’s reduction to words!

Back when I started reading TMWT last fall, it struck me that, being sedentary, I must start walking every morning. So, just like that, I started going for daily walks of a few miles. It was on one of these walks that I discovered a little hidden forest connected to a pocket park. I began wandering into this forest and meditating each morning when I had time.

It was in this little forest that I started praying the Lord’s prayer each morning as the sun came up through the bare branches. And one day this experience of it came over me.

In all honesty, it wasn’t a great leap from TMWT, but the newness with which I felt/experienced these old words, worn into my head. It was like I for the first time glimpsed an inside experience of this prayer. The first time it was attesting to the present, something tangible and ineffable at the same time, rather than the inaccessible after and beyond I thought it had solely represented.