Reply To: Embodiment and Flow

• Don Salmon

April 14, 2023 at 2:36 pm

Great video. Thanks a lot Samuel.

I would be quite cautious, though, about overly dividing up qualities of LH and RH. Take “exploration” for example – you need a sense of direction (literal or metaphorical!) to provide structure for the RH openness.

Although Iain is a clinician, to the best of my knowledge, he hasn’t said much – if anything apart from “try mindfulness” – about how to apply these things to our lives.

Les Fehmi was a physiological psychologist who taught people varying forms of attention (which, I suppose if you combine them, would yield dozens if not hundreds of different ways to mix LH and RH attention) that successfully reduced or cured depression, anxiety, trauma, chronic pain, relationship problems, and more.

I’ve noticed, particularly when I do “free improv,” that there’s an ever-changing (moment to moment, seemingly instant to instant) process of shifting attention as I need to let go of anticipation and then need to add a bit more structure – and even the way I’m putting it, it may seem like “let go of anticipation” is “RH” and “more structure is “LH.” But I don’t think it works that way, and I don’t think Iain would either – IF he would talk more about practical applications.

I know he always assumes that to talk about practical applications is a LH preoccupation.

But I think that holding tightly to that idea may be LH imbalance!

in any case, we can try it for ourselves. How am I attending this very moment? Is it loose, tight, constricted, relaxed, immersed in experience, detached and controlling, or some complex combination? It’s a fascinating experiment which can be done every moment of one’s life.