Reply To: Hoping more Christians can become tolerant other approaches to the sacred

• Mark Delepine

Organizer
    December 30, 2022 at 11:28 am

Haha! I wish the same, Mark, but I lack the the technical savvy or incantation to change the title now. Alternately that can be my Navaho flaw, included so as not to ruffle any deity’s feathers. I find it much easier to rationalize imperfection than to actually do something about it.

But it does seem to me too as though Christianity sets itself up for for frustration by being way too specific about that which we can only ever barely catch a peripheral glimpse of at best. But of course it is as it has evolved to be and there seems to be something to being all in on such details that is essential to their path. Without trodding it too I guess I can only speculate but I try to respect it on its own terms especially since I’ve found some online at keast for whom it seems to be working. This is on the BioLogos website whose mission seems to be making STEM classes okay for evangelicals.

Recently I began a discussion thread for the fifth chapter of David Bentley Hart’s book The Experience of God: Being, Consciousness, Bliss there in which I’m transcribing quotes a paragraph at a time for any discussion that may ensue. You’d be very welcome to check it out and join in if you like:

https://discourse.biologos.org/t/discussion-of-chapter-5-from-harts-the-experience-of-god-being-consciousness-bliss/50574

You don’t have to be a Christian to join. I’m openly agnostic and get along well with almost everyone. For the few hard core apologists who simply will not desist from attempting to enlist me into their cabal there is a fully functional ignore option. But currently there are only two I ignore. Many I genuinely respect and like.