Reply To: Can we channel the right hemisphere to fix our politics?

• Charles Rykken

December 17, 2023 at 12:58 am

I have not made this a special area of investigation but a quick and dirty search on Google Scholar returned this reference.

Taken from “Meta-analyses of the determinants and outcomes of belief in climate change”

https://eprints.qut.edu.au/93213/1/93213.pdf

“Recent growth in the number of studies examining belief in climate change is a positive

development, but presents an ironic challenge in that it can be difficult for academics,

practitioners and policy makers to keep pace. As a response to this challenge, the current

paper reports the first meta-analysis of the correlates of belief in climate change. Twenty seven variables were examined by synthesizing 25 polls and 171 academic studies across 56

nations. Two broad conclusions emerged. First, many intuitively appealing variables (such as

education, sex, subjective knowledge, and experience of extreme weather events) were

overshadowed in predictive power by values, ideologies, worldviews and political

orientation. Second, climate change beliefs have only a small relationship with the extent to

which people are willing to act in climate-friendly ways. Implications for converting skeptics

to the climate change cause – and for converting believers’ intentions into action – are

discussed.”

also

“The largest demographic correlate of climate change belief is political affiliation.

People who intend to vote for more liberal political parties are more likely to believe in

climate change than those who align themselves with relatively conservative political parties.

The tendency for (conservative) Republicans to express more skepticism than (liberal)

Democrats has long been identified within the U.S., and has been credited with contributing

to a growing ideological gulf between skeptics and non-skeptics.5-8 The current data further implicate political alignments in acceptance of climate change; its effect is roughly double the size of any other demographic variable. “

I wonder how you can say there is no such correlation. Have you bothered at all to even try to validate that assertion? I try not to sound academic but big assertions like that should have as references peer reviewed articles. My article search was less than five minutes. I am sure I could come up with a considerable bibliography on this topic with a few hours effort. I don’t have that kind of time at the moment.

BTW, I have no idea why the 403 Forbidden appears below. A simple copy/paste led me directly to the article.