Reply To: Is anyone familiar with Jackendoff’s work in linguistics?

• Shannon McCarthy

May 11, 2024 at 5:27 pm

“The Parallel Architecture on Language and Elsewhere”, 2023- just gave it a read- thanks for letting us know.

“We do not understand conceptual structures very well yet.” -Jackendoff

It all seemed pretty straight forward until he gets to the Spatial Structure part. I can see why you’d want to talk about his ideas on parallel architecture and maybe his thoughts on tonal music theory and its implications or overlap with the hemispheres! Nice little bit here:

Further consideration suggests that Spatial Structure cannot be just a <i style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;”>visual representation. The size and shape of objects and their spatial layout can be determined haptically, that is, through the sense of touch. In addition, information about the spatial configuration of one’s body comes from proprioception (Lackner, 1988; Lackner & Dizio, 2000). All three of these—vision, hapsis, and proprioception—have to be correlated with each other in order to understand what is going on in physical space. This job belongs to Spatial Structure. Moreover, Spatial Structure is not just for perceiving: it also has to be used to plan action in the world.”

What part are you thinking about? I’m curious!