Reply To: Dr Mark Vernon's talk, A Revolution in Attention

• Don Salmon

May 21, 2023 at 2:59 pm

Hi again: Literally seconds after posting the previous comment, I got this in my inbox, from meditation teacher Chris Willard. It speaks to exactly the points about practice:

Can I Be A Mindful Parent, Without Meditating Every Day?

It was about nine years ago that I went to the meditation center to ask my teacher how I could possibly practice once I had started a family. Her answer was simple and surprising, and in many ways the basis of my new course.

“You don’t!”

I was stunned! Everything I thought I’d learned from my teachers like Thich Nhat Hanh, Jack Kornfield, Tara Brach and others made me think that if I wasn’t meditating, I was somehow doing it wrong!

“Your practice is now off the cushion,” she explained.

“This is the real practice, real life, dealing with change, and there’s nothing more real, and nothing that changes your world and you faster than kids. What you want to practice now”, she explained, “is cultivating in yourself and your family qualities like generosity, equanimity, wisdom, ethics and so much more.”

After my teacher threw down that gauntlet, I began studying the neuroscience behind mindfulness, child development research, as well as the spiritual wisdom from around the world, all to create The Science and Spirit of Mindful Parenting/Caregiving.

This is a ten week, twenty hour, course that can stand alone or supplement my previous course: Growing Up Mindful.

Graduates are calling it deeper and more profound than my other offerings, and I can’t wait to have you join and learn in community with other parents and caregivers, as we learn to embody and cultivate generosity, wisdom, honesty, ethics, hard work, equanimity, and ten spiritual values that we can all agree on.

Click through to see how the program works, get the early bird price, register today before it fills up!

Yours in mindfulness,
    Chris Willard