Reply To: The world is not a problem – Iain McGilchrist and Dougald Hine

• Don Salmon

April 30, 2023 at 11:06 pm

Two more I forgot to put in.

David Loy has written a wonderful book on nonduality, in which he explains the apparent differences and conflicts between nonduality in Buddhism, Vedanta, Christianity and Taoism. It’s a radically different understanding of “God” than you’ll get from almost any scholar or theologian. Personally, it took me at least 3 years of searching, starting at age 17, to come to the shocking realization that there were almost no rabbis, pastors, ministers or priests who were actually interested in the underlying contemplative teachings of their traditions. It took me many more years to realize this was true of almost all scholars as well.

Finally –

Father Martin Laird has written what I think is the best manual on Christian contemplative meditation in the past 50 years: “Into the Silent Land.”

B. Alan Wallace, who has studied and taught Tibetan Buddhism for over 50 years, and who since the early 1990s has focused on the Dzogchen tradition (which many have compared to Zen, Vedanta, Meister Eckhart’s teaching AND Taoist nondualism), has jokingly referred to Father Laird’s book as “the best Christian writing on Dzogchen I’ve ever come across.”