Reply To: Dr Mark Vernon's talk, A Revolution in Attention

• Don Salmon

October 18, 2022 at 6:59 pm

Well, as someone who finished the doctorate in psychology around 1999, my deepest sympathies.

I remember around some time in the 2nd year, a group of 8 of us were sitting around and we all had the same feeling: “Doesn’t it feel like we’ve spent our entire LIVES in this program!!”

So since I graduated, I’m often in touch with people about to do or in the midst of the doctorate and I always like to say, “Hey, really, there IS life after the doctorate.”

Your term “professional doctorate” doesn’t sound like you’re from the US – British?

And good luck. It’s a lot of work but well worth it. TIP! Many people go for the doctorate primarily to be therapists. If you can learn to enjoy evaluations, it pays VERY well – and I would urge you, even if you’re a little computer phobic, to get very very comfortable with online evaluations. I’m quite certain that neuropsychological testing, with precise measurements of galvanic skin response, brain waves, and many cognitive functions, is going to be the wave of the future. If you learn this stuff your job will never be outdated and you can earn enough to work just a few days a week if you live relatively simply.