Reply To: Open for Debate

• Eric Scheske

Organizer
    December 13, 2023 at 12:50 pm

Craig: Thanks for posting these. It forced me to re-think what I’m trying to accomplish here (indeed, forced me to think about what I think . . . smile).

In response, I have zero doubt (even if it’s backed solely by faith) that the Church was born “tilting right.” As a Catholic, I believe Christ instituted the Church, and Christ, if the Hemisphere Hypothesis is true, had his neurological house in order . . . perfectly so, being Himself divine.

That being said, I appreciate your observation that the Church has not always tilted right. It’s a human institution: divinely implemented and guided, but administered by flawed humans, many of whom (including Popes) didn’t “tilt right.” In fact, I think the Hemisphere Hypothesis explains a lot of the problems within the Church today (and throughout its existence): As an institution, it tilts left these days . . . just ask any Jesuit who uses logic to kill any sense of mystery or awe, unless the mystery or awe serves the Jesuit’s left-hemispheric aim.

In this forum, I’m hoping people share ways that Catholic thinkers and saints have tilted right and how Catholic thought, traditions, and art have tilted right. I’d also like to hear suggestions about what things have tilted left.

Thanks again for chiming in.

Eric